"At least it was over quickly"

About: Queen Elizabeth Hospital (Greater London)

Went to the urgent care unit yesterday. The receptionists in A&E were lovely so it's a shame I can't say the same about the other staff. During triage in urgent care, the nurse took a personal phone call in the middle of taking my vitals. Additionally, when they asked me to rate my pain, they then wrote down a number lesser than my answer. If I tell you my pain is severe, that is what I mean, so please treat it as such. Things didn't really get better when I went through to treatment. The doctor repeatedly ignored what I was saying about past medications, as well as my current problem. When I asked the doctor for pain relief, saying that I had already taken cocodamol earlier to no effect, the doctor asked me if I had tried ibuprofen and then told me that's all they could offer me. The doctor was extremely patronising (called my problem 'women's issues', and told me what was happening to me was 'very common' when it isn't). The doctor told me that it was a hormonal issue, even though they had taken no blood so had no way of knowing what my hormones were doing. The doctor then prescribed me medication that I had told them did not work for me (and surprise surprise, still doesn't work). I was in extreme pain, and had lost so much blood that I nearly fainted, and I was made to feel like I was overreacting. The only positive about the whole experience is that it was quick.

Response from Queen Elizabeth Hospital

I am sorry to read your comments about your recent visit to the Urgent Care Centre (UCC). All of our staff in the UCC are trained to carry out their duties with due care and professionalism. I do apologise that this has not been your experience on this occasion. I will be highlighting the points you raised to the whole team at our next meeting so that we can learn from this with the aim of improving the future level of care we provide to our patients. If you would like your concerns investigated further and receive a formal response please contact the Patient Advice & Liaison Service (PALS) team at the Queen Elizabeth Hospital on 020 8836 4592. Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback. Agnes Kasprowicz Urgent Care Deputy Regional Manager 20th May 2015