"Suspected DVT care"

About: Monklands District General Hospital / General Medicine

I attended my local GP with a badly swollen, and extremely painful left knee and foot. My doctor referred to Monklands A&E with a suspected DVT.

As I have never spent a night in hospital, and have only ever attended my doctor for minor ailments, I was a little apprehensive at this point.

I shouldn't have worried though. The three staff that attended to me (a nurse, trainee doctor and consultant) were amazing. Although working in a busy environment they always had a smile and took the time to explain each step of my diagnoses.

My condition turned out to be gout, and the medication and dietary changes required were fully explained to me.

I would just like to thank everyone involved with my treatment for there friendly and professional care.

Response from Ruth Thompson, Chief of Nursing Services, Monklands Hospital, NHS Lanarkshire

Dear George Carlin

Thank you for taking the time to post your experience within Monklands Hospital; I fully appreciate being admitted to hospital for the first time can be quite anxious time. It is important staff are able to put patients at ease and explain potential diagnoses, investigations and ongoing treatment.

I hope the medication and dietary changes have eased the swelling and pain in your foot and leg.

I will pass on your kind comments to the staff.