"You had one job"

About: Torbay Hospital

Approximately 4 weeks ago I was on holiday with my family in Paignton. During my time at Paignton I was suffering from severe diarrhoea. I visited Torbay hospital and I was given a blood test. I was told I had gastroenteritis by a doctor in the a and e department. I was told to eat normally and continue caring for myself. However my condition continued to get worse and me and my family left Paignton a day early as I was so unwell. The following day (when I was back home) I was in agony and went to my GP which then sent me to the hospital. I spent three weeks on hospital with ulcerative colitis, it was so bad I almost had surgery. I went to Torbay hospital in hope of feeling better but I was told I was "fine". Please improve your practice.

Response from PALS Dept, Torbay and South Devon NHS Foundation Trust

Dear Patient,

Kind regards South Devon Healthcare NHS Foundation Trust.

Response from Torbay Hospital

Dear Patient, We are very sorry to hear about your experience and that the standard of your care fell below that which we strive to provide. We would like the opportunity to discuss your experience with you and try our best to resolve it. If you are happy to talk to us about this, please contact our Patient Advice & Liaison Service (PALS) so they can look into your situation in more detail. A PALS Officer is available in person, Monday to Friday, between 10.00am and 2.00pm. You can contact them by calling 01803 655838 or on our 24 hour freephone number 0800 02 82 037. If you get through to the voicemail service please leave your contact details and you will receive a call back within two working days. PALS can also be contacted by Text Phone on 01803 654742, by FAX on 01803 617162, or via email to sdhc@nhs.net (your email will go direct to our PALS Service). We look forward to hearing from you so that we can address the issues you have raised.