"Poor Staff Service"

About: North Manchester General Hospital

I visited the Blood Room to have a blood test. I was sat in the waiting room. There were other patients waiting as well. When I was called in there were four phlebotomists in the room. I wondered why we were waiting when there were four phlebotomists and no patient in their room until I was called in. The reason became apparent. The three phlebotomists who weren't taking blood samples were having a heated discussion about a patient who'd dared to complain about them. In fact all four phlebotomists were involved in the discussion including the one who took my blood and who was behaving as if I didn't exist. I wonder if patients might make fewer complaints if they weren't kept waiting for a procedure no one likes having done by staff doing anything other than the job they're paid to do.

Response from North Manchester General Hospital

We are sorry to read your comment regarding your visit to the Blood Room at North Manchester General Hospital. If you wish to discuss your concerns, please contact the Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) on 0161 604 5897. We will also forward your comment to the department manager.