"A&E GP refused to xray, scan or call specialist"

About: Barnet General Hospital

In May 2014, I strangely got horrendous rib pain on my left side. I could not breath. I have a complicated medical history, as I have Ehlers Danlos Syndrome,PoTS & Scoliosis (&22 other illnesses). I was laying on the A&E floor crying in agony (I am no wimp, never known pain like it). I did not see a Hosp Dr only a GP Dr, who thought it was a urine infection, I knew it wasn't. I was worried I had ruptured something (a common danger for EDS patients). The Dr did not check me, just gave me a urine sample pot. I did my urine sample & then sat in A&E for 1hr holding it (I could barely sit up). The Dr checked the urine sample & ruled out a urine infection & finally examined me (after I requested it). I shot through the roof when they pressed my lower rib & said "it is probably just muscular".... With serious ongoing illnesses "probably" is not good enough! I asked if a scan or Xray could be done as I had Coeliac Diseae & Osteopenia & may have a broken rib? Or an ultrasound. The doctor refused. I asked to see a Hospital Dr, not a GP as I was in so much pain & worried. They made me wait for 40 minutes & then called me in & said "the other Dr agrees with my diagnosis." I asked "which Dr?" They said "the other GP." I asked if I could see them & could they examine me, the GP said "no." And told me to take paracetamol. I could barely walk. I had been in no accident to get a muscle injury with pain that severe. I told the doctor I was worried in case it was related to EDS & I had a rupture, as I have had a blood clot in the past. I told them I live alone & was concerned. Their reply "if U get worse ring an ambulance!" I refuse to go to Barnet A&E now. The Royal Free Hosp A&E is much better..even Northwick Park is. GP's should not be working in a Hospital. This GP had no idea what as to what EDS was & how serious it is. I sat crying begging for help. Nobody lays on a dirty hospital floor crying in pain, if it is nothing much. It is sad, Clinic in Gynaecology is amazing & 5 star!

Response from Barnet General Hospital

Hi there, we're very sorry to hear you are unhappy about your experience at Barnet Hospital last year. We will pass your comments on to the team in A&E. If you would like us to look into this further, please email rf.communications@nhs.net with details of your specific case. Thank you for getting in touch.