"Excellent care under difficult circumstances"

About: Macclesfield District General Hospital

I was diagnosed with breast cancer after a routine mammogram. From the very start of the process the staff were friendly and supportive, and there was plenty of information. we were given a named breast cancer nurse to support us through the process and that made a lot of difference - having someone who was clearly so professional and knowledgeable made us much more confident. There was plenty of information throughout the process and although I didn't have many choices in my treatment it was always clear why that was, and on what basis decisions had been made. We had plenty of time to ask questions when meeting the surgeon. On the day of my surgery (January 5th) , the hospital was very busy and some surgical wards had been taken up with patients from A&E. This meant that we had to wait in a lounge prior to treatment and had several meetings there with physio therapists, aneasthetists and the nursing staff. The atmosphere was calm and friendly and I felt very confident throughout. After my surgery (a mastectomy) I recovered in a ward that was clearly very full, but the nursing staff were superb - very patient and helpful and providing excellent support. Since then I have had excellent after-care. All my appointments have been on time and there has been plenty of information about follow up care. I feel confident that I can call the breast cancer team at any time and get support if I need it. Overall my impression at MDGH is of a hospital that is under huge pressure and in dire need of additional space, but staffed by professionals of an exceptional nature who maintain good humour and professionalism in the face of some immense pressure. I have no doubt that these staff have saved my life, and saved me from what could have been even more unpleasant treatment. Many thanks.

Response from Macclesfield District General Hospital

Please accept our sincere thanks for taking the time to comment on your experiences of our services during what must have been a very difficult time for you. It's great to hear you were cared for so thoroughly and professionally throughout. We will feed back your comments to the staff concerned and I'm sure it will mean a lot to them. Thank you once again and we hope you are recovering well.