"Left in tears after first visit"

About: St Thomas' Hospital (London)

I have had chronic pain for several years and was hoping coming to this hospital I might finally get some answers and my life back on track, how wrong was I. From the moment I met the Doctor I felt nervous, the Doctor hardly looked at me when they spoke, questioned me like a child, had absolutely no compassion and made me feel like I was making it all up. I have seen many consultants and doctors in the past but have never been made to feel like I did yesterday. I have no reason to complain about the Doctor, they did their job, but a nicer bedside manner with patients and a different attitude goes a long way because when I've had the tests done and go back for results I will request not to see this Doctor. I left the clinic and burst into tears. That's how the Doctor made me feel. I don't have much confidence today of St Thomas hospital, maybe because my expectations were so high when I arrived but to leave feeling like "just another number " I'm not even sure I want to go back.

Response from St Thomas' Hospital

I am sorry to learn that your appointment in Pain Management proved such a distressing experience. Under the circumstances you describe, I can understand why you do not wish to see this doctor again. If you would like to discuss your experience with a member of staff responsible for Pain Management - in the hope that your concerns about the service may be looked into and addressed before your next appointment – please contact the hospital’s PALS (patient advice and liaison service). PALS can be contacted by telephone on 020 7188 8801 or by email at pals@gstt.nhs.uk.