"My elderly father's admission to A and E"

About: Allied Healthcare - Gravesend Darent Valley Hospital / Accident and emergency South East Coast Ambulance Service NHS Foundation Trust / Emergency ambulance

My 87 year old Father was admitted with acute dehydration and a chest infection by ambulance on Easter bank holiday Monday.

The ambulance crew were extremely professional and caring and made a point of making notes to record my Dad as the sole carer for my Mum who has dementia.

The A&E area was immaculately clean and the medical staff were caring and attentive. I am sure there must lots of politics at play in all parts of the NHS but I was struck by the genuine caring and humanitarian attitude of all staff we dealt with.

Amanda the discharge nursing sister deserves special thanks for putting together a comprehensive home care plan together with Sharon in hospital social services. This was all done with patience and good humour on a busy bank holiday despite my Dad's endless moaning and complaining.

All the staff were all brilliant and their care and personal attention was very much appreciated by our family.

Response from Louise Hutchinson, Patient Experience Lead, South East Coast Ambulance Service NHS Foundation Trust

Dear Stuart999

I wanted to respond to thank you for taking the time to provide feedback, and for your very kind words about the care and professionalism displayed by the ambulance crew who attended your father on Easter Monday. I was also pleased to hear that they took time to document that your father is sole carer for your mum, as it is so important that patients’ carers are listened to, and that the needs of people patients may care for are understood.

We know that our staff provide a wonderful service on a daily basis, but it is very special to them when patients and relatives take the time to thank them for their skills and kindness. If you would like me to pass on your comments to the staff concerned, and if you have time, do contact me and I will happily do so (louise.hutchinson@secamb.nhs.uk).

Thank you again and I do hope your dad’s condition is improving.

Yours sincerely, Louise Hutchinson

Response from Darent Valley Hospital

Dear Stuart999 Thank you for this lovely feedback regarding our A&E Department, reading that you all found our staff brilliant, attentive and caring is just so wonderful. We are extremely proud of our A&E department, which is full of hard working and dedicated staff. The fact that you yourself have also recognised their patience and good humour when the department was extremely busy is all credit to them. We do hope that your father is feeling much better now and back home safe and soundly looking after your mum. Kind regards The Communications Team Darent Valley Hospital

Response from Dartford and Gravesham NHS Trust

Dear Stuart999

The Communications Team