"Thanks to the excellent A&E team!"

About: North Devon District Hospital

I arrived at A&E by helicopter from Lundy Island, having hit my head on a rock some hours previously but not sought first aid. All staff I encountered at Barnstaple A&E were efficient, professional, caring and helpful. The doctors gave me a thorough examination and inspired confidence, the nurse was compassionate and thorough, and the receptionists patiently phoned umpteen hotels at 11pm to find me a room for the night once my treatment was completed. The lovely nurse even said they would have put me up in their spare room if they had been going home, and until it transpired that the only vacancy was 9 miles away, the kind receptionist was going to give me a lift there to save me the taxi fare! All in all it was a very reassuring experience, and I'm impressed and grateful for the level of care which exceeded my expectations.

Dear patient

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience following your accident - it must have been a very frightening time for you and I was especially pleased to learn that you had such good and friendly treatment from the A&E staff.

I have shared your very positive comments with the service manager who will inturn share your feedback with the team- where I know they will be warmly received.

Best wishes. Jayne

Response from Peter Brain, Volunteer, Healthwatch Devon

Dear 'anonymous'

The comments and responses on the web-site of Patient Opinion are shared with us at Healthwatch.

This experience you describe was eventually very reassuring to you. Thank you for taking the time to post this comment.

More generally we are building a picture of the provision of services in Devon and these comments will help the NHS and other providers develop and improve their services.

If you wish to discuss any health or social care issues with us in confidence, including seeking advice or information about services, please call 0800 520 0640, or email info@healthwatchdevon.co.uk or go on-line to www.healthwatchdevon.co.uk.

Yours sincerely

Peter Brain

Healthwatch Devon is the consumer champion for Health and Social Care in Devon.