"Ten hour wait with broken hip"

About: East Midlands Ambulance Service NHS Trust / Emergency ambulance Lincoln County Hospital / Trauma and orthopaedics

In March I broke my hip. I was taken by ambulance to Lincoln a&e, arriving at 7pm. We waited in a queue for about an hour to be handed over. I was taken to xray, where it was confirmed I did have a break. I was then left with no info as to what would happen.

I asked several times over a period of 2hrs for pain relief. After asking several times, I was told they were waiting for a bed to come free. I should like to point out that when I was wheeled to xray, the porter wouldn't let me take my belongings with me. So I was made to leave my bag in an a&e cubicle on a Saturday night. It contained my purse, my phone, my bank cards and also all my medication, including oramorph. This needs a full investigation please.

Then a nurse proceeded to tell me that I wouldn't be operated on the next day as the operating rooms were too busy. They then decided to tickle the base of my right foot. It is my right hip that is broken, causing me to jump, scream and cry out in agony. By this time I was distraught. The nurse and the porter then wheeled me to the ward, whilst I was still crying. They talked about me all the way there like I wasn't there. Discussing how much it would hurt me to move me into a bed and how going over the bumps in the corroded would hurt anyway.

When we arrived on the ward I tried to tell a nurse why I was distressed. Whilst I was talking to the nurse, the other nurse was incredibly rude and pushed their face close to mine, asking me about my hurt foot and knee. I pointed out that it was my hip that was broken and nothing was wrong with my foot, only that they had tickled it, causing me huge distress. I arrived at a&e at 7pm and arrived on the ward at 5am. 10hrs in that dept on a hard trolley with a broken hip is dreadful!

Response from Patient Experience and Engagement Manager, Patient Experience, United Lincolnshire Hospitals NHS Trust

Dear LadyA

Thank you for taking the time to share your concerns regarding your recent visit to A&E. I apologise for the long wait for a bed, the hospital has been under significant pressure recently and unfortunately delays for beds have occurred. I would be keen to address the other concerns you have raised with the staff responsible for your care in A&E as it is not acceptable that timely pain relief was not available and you were not kept informed of the reason for the delays, again please accept my apologies. If you would contact Sharon.Kidd@ulh.nhs.uk who is our Patient Experience Manager or via 07799 868206 with your details this will enable me to fully investigate the issues and I can feed back to you personally.

I will ensure that the concerns you have raised are also shared with the staff on the admission ward.

Karen Hansord – A&E Sister, Lincoln County Hospital

Response from Rebekah Marong, Communications & Engagement Support Officer, Communications and Engagement, East Midlands Ambulance Service NHS Trust

Dear LadyA,

I am sorry to hear that your experience following your handover was a negative one but I hope that the care provided by our ambulance crew beforehand was positive.

I wish you a good recovery.

Best wishes,