"Concern about poor nursing care on Ward 1"

About: Royal Alexandra Hospital (Paisley)

(as a friend),

A close family friend was admitted to ward 1 last week. My mum visited for the first time and obviously wasn't sure where to go. She walked past the nurses station and there was a nurse sitting. She didnt even acknowledge my mum. She then realised she had gone the wrong way and walked back to the nurses station and the nurse said "I knew you were going the wrong way but knew you had to come back this way." What about: "Good afternoon, can I help you?"

On Friday morning Mr X was helped into the bathroom to have a shower. He wanted to shave himself, so he was left in the toilet to do this and was told to buzz when he was finished. He buzzed when he was finished and the nurses appeared 2 HOURS later for him. Needless to say when my mum visited the next day he looked as if he needed a shave.

On Saturday my mum went up to visit and was asked to wait because the nurses were working with him. When my mum got into see him he was so distressed, embarassed and upset. He buzzed for the toilet only to be told by the nurse: "We are too busy Mr X, you will just need to do it in the bed". Mr X also stated to my mum that when he was getting cleaned up, the nurses were so rough with him that he was sore.

What is going on in there?

Mr X is an elderly man and has a terminal illness and I don't think he deserves to live the remainder of the little time he has left being treated like this.

This is neglect, despicable care and very humiliating.

Dear NHS worker

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback. We are out and about over the next week but will respond to your properly when we get back.

If you have something urgent you want to raise can we suggest you contact the Patient Advice and Support Service at http://www.cas.org.uk/about-us/partnerships-services/cab-service-partners/patient-advice-and-support-service or through your local Citizens Advice Bureau.

Thank you.

Response from Niall McGrogan, Head of Patient Experience and Public Involvement, I work for Dr Margaret Maguire, the Director of Nursing, here at NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde, NHS Greater Glasgow & Clyde

Dear NHS Worker

I am very concerned to hear your account of the care experienced by a family friend. Obviously, NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde would like to invstigate this matter rather urgently.

If you feel comfortable in doing so, please contact me directly with some further detail and we can discuss how best this can be taken forward.

If you do not feel comfortable in taking this course of action, please consider using PASS ( as detailed above) - they can provide you with free and confidential advice and support you in raising these concerns.

niall.mcgrogan@ggc.scot.nhs.uk