"bed blocking"

About: William Harvey Hospital

my 96 year old father was admitted by ambulance on the 26th March at 1pm (1300hrs) with a suspected heart attack, he was seen by medical staff without delay and it transpired he had a severe lung infection and a heart irregularity and put on an anti biotic drip, at 12 midnight he was admitted to a ward, 11 hours later !!! the following day I was telephoned with instructions to collect him and take him home, even though the hospital administration knew he lived alone they sent him home with no care package or assessment of his situation resulting in his return to William Harvey 5 days later with the same symptoms and subsequently admitted to a ward where he remained on oxygen and medication, I cannot fault the care by the medical staff but cannot begin to comprehend the mentality of the administration to discharge an elderly gentleman with complete disregard to his situation at home, I am aware of other elderly patients being treated in a similar way and intend to make an official complaint to the relevant authorities.

Thank you for your feedback, and I am sorry to read about your concerns with regards to the discharge of your father. I note that you will be making a formal complaint and we will be pleased to respond to your concerns.