"Not able to have INR checked today"

About: Ipswich Hospital

Despite having an appointment today at the pathology lab I was turned away as the department was busy and apparently the phlebotomist were refusing to take blood from those with an appointment.

I have always experienced a first class service within the department which is why I am so disappointed with the service I received or more to the point didn't receive today. It has left me not able to have my INR checked until Tuesday which is causing me anxiety as I have a pending operation and need my INR to be in range for 4 weeks.

A simple phone call would have at least stopped me travelling to the hospital and wasting time and money on car parking.

Response from Dominic Mundy, Patient and Carer Experience Manager, Clinical Directorate, Ipswich Hospital NHS Trust

Good morning,

Thank you ever so much for your feedback, I cant apologies enough for your experiences at the Pathology Lab at your last visit.

I have contacted the Pathology team and have asked for them to address your concerns and experience directly.

Thanks again for sharing your feedback with us, I will endeavour to get back to you as soon as possible.

Dominic Mundy

Good morning,

Apologies for not getting back to you sooner, the Pathology team were doing their own enquiry as to why this may have happened. I have spoken directly with the Nurse specialist who has explained the following:

'Further investigation into why a patient may have been turned away for a blood test. It appears some confusion occurred. The phlebotomy staff realised that it was a bank holiday on the Friday so mid afternoon they were aware that INR patients needed to be moved through the system more promptly in order for the INR to be analysed and the patient dosed. Initially the phlebotomist called out to any INR patients waiting to identify themselves and she called them through ahead of the other patients waiting, she did explain to the waiting room why she was doing this. I cannot find out exactly why this patient was turned away but it appears to be misunderstanding and should not have happened. I can only apologise to the gentleman and I have spoken to all the TPP staff about this issue.'

My sincerest apologies once more for the service you experienced. I know the Phlebotomy team will do everything in their power to ensure this doesnt happen again.

Many thanks for your time.

Dominic Mundy

Response from Ipswich Hospital

I am very sorry about your poor experience of care at our hospital. I completely understand your disappointment. I wll look into all the circumstances as turning patients away when they have appointments is something we try never, ever to do. Would you be able to contact our patient advice team on 01473 702064