"Lack of x ray staff and machines"

About: Broomfield Hospital

I attended Day Surgery today for the removal of a K wire from my finger. I was booked in by friendly and efficient nursing staff. My surgeon introduced themselves and explained the procedure was simple and would take only 5 minutes. However once surgery started they realised the wire had "migrated" further into my finger and they could not see where it was. The surgeon therefore requested an x ray only to be told there were no machines available and no radiographer. Despite pleading with various people that they had a patient on the table and needed an urgent x ray nothing happened. The surgeon was eventually forced to remove their gown and walk around the hospital looking for an x ray machine and a radiographer. Eventually a senior manager came and apologized to me and after nearly an hour wait on the table, a machine was produced. Naturally the surgeon and staff were greatly embarrassed by this and apologised profusely. Such a long wait while already prepped for surgery for the lack of an x ray machine was I think disgraceful and the lack of cooperation from Radiography was incredible. I work in NHS Professionals recruiting nurses from all over the world and regularly tell them what wonderful teamwork there is in the NHS. Unfortunately today I did not witness it and felt terribly sorry for the staff in the theatre who looked after me so well during my time there.