"It was just the consultant’s attitude that upset me."

About: North Devon District Hospital / Trauma and orthopaedics

I attended an appointment with a consultant at the orthopaedic department. My appointment was running behind, and I was called in late. I wouldn’t mind this so much, but I was also rushed out early, so the appointment seemed very quick.

During the appointment, the consultant seemed distracted, irritated and dismissive. They didn’t seem to want to answer any questions, which meant I didn’t get a chance to ask what I wanted to.

It was a horrible experience and I left feeling no more informed than before I went in. I was so upset I actually cried for 2 hours after the appointment. However, I must say that all the support staff were good and friendly, and the environment was clean. It was just the consultant’s attitude that upset me.

Dear patient

I was really sorry to learn of your recent experience and would like to apologise for the upset caused. I would be very grateful if you could telephone the hospitals Patient Advice & Liaison service (PALS) on 01271 314090 as they will be able to look into your concerns once they have more information.

Many thanks. Jayne

Response from Peter Brain, Volunteer, Healthwatch Devon

Dear 'paws553'

The comments and responses on the web-site of Patient Opinion are shared with us at Healthwatch.

This experience you describe was very unfortunate at a time of anxiety for you.

Please take up the suggestion of approaching PALS and also let us know how you get on.

We are building a picture of the provision of services in Devon and these comments will help the NHS and other providers develop and improve their services.

If you wish to discuss any health or social care issues with us in confidence, including seeking advice or information about services, please call 0800 520 0640, or email info@healthwatchdevon.co.uk or go on-line to www.healthwatchdevon.co.uk.

Yours sincerely

Peter Brain

Healthwatch Devon is the consumer champion for Health and Social Care in Devon.