"Receptionists were talking to eachother"

About: East Surrey Hospital / General medicine

Receptionists in outpatients were talking to each other rather than waiting patients and we had to wait for them to finish talking to each other.

It was really noisy and one receptionist had to ask for quiet from her colleagues.

Response from Surrey and Sussex Healthcare NHS Trust

Dear Linda D

I was disappointed to read your comments on the service you received from our Reception staff during the recent visit to the Outpatients Department at East Surrey Hospital.

This is not the standard of service our staff are trained to deliver and I would like to assure you I will address this with the team. There are occasions, however, when staff do need to speak to each other about clinic matters but this should not be while patients are waiting to register their attendance.

I can only apologise for the lower level of service you received on this occasion and trust that should you need to attend an outpatient appointment in the future, you will see an improvement in the registering service we provide.

Linda Judge

Outpatient Services Manager

• Linda D thinks this response is helpful

Update posted by Linda D (the patient)

Thank you for your prompt response but I must add that the receptionists were not talking about clinic matters.