"Told my son had a cold"

About: NHS 24 NHS Forth Valley Royal Hospital for Sick Children (Yorkhill) / Neurology

(as a parent/guardian),

I phoned the nhs 24 out of hours and basically had to be adamant that I wanted my 5 month old son to be seen by a doctor. When I got an appointment and went to see the doctor they told me my son had some sort of viral infection coming on him. That night my son took very ill his breathing nearly stopped and was having seizures so I phoned nhs 24 back up and they sent an ambulance out.

When we got took to hospital yet found out my son had a brain bleed! And was an underlying blood condition that had not been picked up on, even though I had been to the nhs 24 numerous times previously with my son and they kept telling me he had a cold. Hadn't my son been seen that night he would of died within no time. My son has Haemophilia and is now getting regular medication thanks to Yorkhill children's hospital who have been amazing.

Response from Shona Lawrence, Patient Affairs Manager, NHS 24

Thank you very much for your posting via Patient Opinion. I fully appreciate that this would have been a very worrying time for you, and your family, and I am pleased to note that your son is receiving regular medication to assist in managing his condition.

I note you have referenced contact with NHS 24 and you have explained that arrangements were made for your baby to attend at the local NHS Forth Valley Out of Hours Service for assessment of his symptoms. Following this, further contact was then made with NHS 24 as your baby's breathing was causing concern and this resulted in NHS 24 contacting the Scottish Ambulance Service to request ambulance attendance.

It may be helpful if I explain that the NHS 24 Unscheduled Care Service is a Nurse led Advice & Referral Service. Therefore, following assessment of a patient's symptoms by NHS 24, if it is deemed appropriate for a patient to receive onward referral for face to face assessment at their local Out of Hours Service, their details are passed by NHS 24 to their local Health Board who then has responsibility for patient care. I note that your posting has been shared with NHS Forth Valley by the Patient Opinion Team to enable NHS Forth Valley to respond to you.

I am pleased to read that your son has received excellent care by the staff at Yorkhill hospital.

If you would like NHS 24 to investigate the detail in relation to the contact you had with our service, we would be pleased to do so. My direct telephone number is 0141 337 4582 or alternatively you can email patientaffairs@nhs24.scot.nhs.uk.

Thank you again for taking the time to provide your feedback. I do wish you and your son well.

With kind regards

Shona Lawrence

NHS 24 Patient Affairs Manager

Dear superbaby,

I am so sorry to read this and I can only imagine how scared you must have been when your baby boy took ill. I am so pleased to hear that your son was well looked after when he got to Yorkhill and that he is now getting the treatment he needs. I have also passed on your kind comments to the service.

I wish you and your baby boy all the best for the future,

Kind Regards,

Lorna

Response from Pauline Marland, Person Centred Patient Experience Coordinator, Department of Nursing, NHS Forth Valley

Dear Superbaby,

Thank you for your posting of which I have shared with the Out of Hours Service Manager at NHS Forth Valley.

I would like to offer my apologies for your experience and concerns in relation to your sons care and treatment within NHS Forth Valley in what must have been a very worrying and stressful time for yourself and your family.

We would like to be given the opportunity to investigate your concerns in detail. If you would wish NHS Forth Valley to investigate please do not hesitate to contact me, my direct telephone number is 01324 566523 or you can email me at p.marland@nhs.net

I am pleased to read that your son is recovering well,

I look forward to hearing from you.

Kindest regards

Pauline Marland

Person Centred Patient Experience Coordinator

NHS Forth Valley

Update posted by Superbaby (a parent/guardian)

Thankyou for getting back to me. I am still waiting on an outcome from one of your team