"Ear syringing"

About: NHS Lanarkshire

I went to the doctor today expecting to be referred to the nurse to get my ear syringed. Now I have discovered that my practice nurse is no longer allowed to carry out this procedure and I have to wait 4 WEEKS to have this done at my local health centre. This is not acceptable. My ear is totally blocked and I cannot hear. Why do I have to wait 4 weeks for something that the nurse could do today or tomorrow? I am very upset about this!

Response from Laura Jack, Patient Affairs Manager, Primary Care Division, NHS Lanarkshire

Dear Veryupset,

I’m sorry that you are not able to get your ear syringed at your local GP Practice.

I know that we generally advise people to soften the wax for a week before having their ear syringed but I can understand your frustration at the thought of having to wait four weeks.

If you’d like me to look into the reason for the waiting time to your appointment please contact me on 01698 858 292.

Many thanks

Laura

• Veryupset thinks this response is helpful

Dear Veryupset,

Thanks for getting in touch last week and I’m glad that we have been able to give you an earlier appointment following a cancellation. Specialist nursing staff are based at Treatment Rooms across NHS Lanarkshire to provide ear syringing and we can provide up to four appointments a day.

Please discuss your circumstances when you attend your appointment and the treatment room nurse will be able to advise on the process if you need to return in the future.

I hope your treatment goes well.

Kind Regards