"Excellent Service at Furness General Hospital "

About: Furness General Hospital / Accident and emergency

I had a very serious collapse at home and was brought to the Accident and Emergency Department at Furness General Hospital. Yes I know people get very emotional and thankful when they have been in Hospital and they want to quite rightly thank everyone involved in their care. I am writing this after my thankful return to home after a week so my comments are not emotive.

To say I was impressed would be an understatement. From the moment I was wheeled into the A&E department I was treated with manners, respect and most of all as an individual. I was very quickly given a heart drug as I was having a Heart Attack (I have since heard this is a standard to get this type of treatment) but mine was administered with minutes of arrival which has helped me survive my illness.

The A&E department was like a shiny pin and not a spec of dirt anywhere. I could see everyone washing there hands and this was done also before examining me.

I was then taken to the CCU where they too were absolutely fabulous, respectful caring and most of all reassuring. That touch on the arm that says - your going to be ok and I'm with you - it goes along way without saying much at all. The Sisters on the Ward run a very good unit and they should be proud of themselves - although they are not working in ideal conditions they did there very best - all of them. All of the Nurses in the wards I was on looked so smart and professional and Matron made sure they were.

Finally, I want to make a comment on the Matron Mr Lippett. My aunt was a Matron many years ago and I know there has been a lot of media hype about Matron's but (and I now know he covers the A&E and CCU Departments also) was a shining example to the Nursing Profession and I will be writing that professional body when I get time. From what I observed and we saw him everyday even when I was on the main ward his professional approach to his job is just what my Aunt would have wanted to see - Firm but Fair. He inspected everything and on more than one occasion asked Ward Sister why patient x wasn't out of bed and I must share this with you when patient x didn't want to get out of bed because he could be bothered - Matron responded that out in the Chair is a step nearer the door for you Mr X so up and at it please. Mr x was assisted by Sister and he was home before I was. Fantastic Matron - scary but Kind - just how it should be. Carry on your hard work FGH

Response from University Hospitals of Morecambe Bay NHS Foundation Trust

Thank you for your comment, Maureen. We apologise for our slow response, which is due to an email alert error. Thanks again!