"An amazing team of professionals passionate about helping patients"

About: Monklands District General Hospital / Ear, Nose & Throat

I was diagnosed last year with Thyroid Cancer in my throat, which spread to other areas of my neck and shoulder, resulting in me receiving a total Laryngectomy and other surgery to remove the cancer.

This left me with no voice box, and permanently breathing through a hole at the front of my neck. I was unable to speak or make any vocal sounds, at all, for four months.

The amazing team at Monklands Hospital nursed me back to good health and I received further surgery to have a speech valve fitted at the back of my Trachea. I was then put in the hands of the Speech & Language Therapists who have carefully guided me through the process of learning to speak using the implanted speech valve and Manual Heat and Moisture Exchange Filter.

This has very recently progressed to using a hands free "Flexivoice" filter and thanks to the amazing therapist team, I am now able to talk clearly, consistently and for as long as I desire, ( or others will allow ).

I just want to say a huge thank you to a thoroughly amazing team of professionals who clearly are passionate about helping patients through the trauma of cancer and helping them to cope with the after effects of treatment.

I would urge anyone reading this to support the team, in any way they can.

Response from Pauline Downie, Professional Lead, Speech & Language Therapy Services, NHS Lanarkshire

Dear Bill81

It is lovely to hear from you again and of the progress you have made with regaining your speech using a speech valve and the hands free Flexivoice. It means such a lot to staff to receive thanks for helping patients and I will certainly pass this along to the team involved in your care.

My best wishes for your continued good health.

Pauline Downie

Response from Andrea Fyfe, Director of Hospital Services, Monklands Hospital, NHS Lanarkshire

Dear Bill81

Thank you for taking the time to send this message to the staff within Monklands Hospital and NHSL who have been involved in your care. Staff are always very pleased to hear such good feedback and I know they will be glad to hear your health is continuing to improve.

I wish you well in the future and best wishes.

Andrea Fyfe