"Waiting 6 hours in gruesome A&E department"

About: St Mary's Hospital (London)

I was referred to St. Mary's A&E Dept. for urgent surgery that my GP felt I needed asap. On arrival I was told no beds were available, I would just have to wait. The place was packed, there wasn't a spare seat to be seen. The atmosphere was very depressing, patients with an urgent need for medical attention had to sit in pain and suffering. A Northern Irish administrator was permanently on the phone trying to organise the allocation of beds; poor man was almost hysterical, red in the face, and looked as if he would burst a blood vessel. This was very unpleasant to see, and upsetting; it was a fiercely vivid situation for patients who had hoped for some reassurance instead of hysteria. I waited, and waited, and after some hours of distress could stand it no longer and discharged myself. I'm too angry and upset to comment further. My treatment will eventually take place, not in St. Mary's.

Response from St Mary's Hospital

Imperial College Healthcare NHS Trust is very concerned to read of your experience and we sincerely apologise for the distress your were caused. It would be important to understand the situation and investigate what problems that you have reported. To facilitate this we hope you will contact our PALS team to provide your details.