"Diagnosis could be improved"

About: Inverclyde Royal Hospital / Accident & Emergency

(as a parent/guardian),

After a fall my young daughter of nearly 2 years old visited IRH to check on the condition of her injury. The diagnosis without X-Ray was no further action required.

One week further, on her 2nd birthday, she started to complain again about her sore arm. We decided to return to IRH for a further review of her injury. After a 2 hour wait we were incorrectly informed by a very unhelpful staff member that she had potentially broken two bones and may need operative surgery. Fortunately this was not required however she still has two fractured bones in her arm which had not been given the necessary treatment one week prior and potentially affected any healing process due to a misdiagnosis by a doctor.

I would like to relay how disappointed we are in the service provided at IRH in our initial visit and sent home with a child in pain with fractured bones.

Our daughter is now in a plaster for the coming weeks. I am personally at a loss as to how this is possible to happen to a young child in today's services and post this in the hope that another family does not have to go through similar.

Thank you for taking the time to get in touch to let me know of the experience you and your daughter had - I am so sorry that you have been left disappointed with the care your daughter received and I can completely understand your concern that this diagnosis wasn't made on your initial visit.

I would like to look into this more closely, and to do so it would really help me if you could get in touch with me directly with a few more details. My email address is lorna.gray@ggc.scot.nhs.uk. I hope to hear from you soon.

Best Wishes,

• Millie arm thinks this response is helpful