"A and E Viewpoint"

About: Queen Elizabeth The Queen Mother Hospital

On 28th Jan 2015 I had surgery at Canterbury Hospital to implant a Spinal Cord Stimulator. On Friday 6th Feb 2015 I went to my GP for the nurse to remove 14 sutures, 6 of which were in my abdomen. One of the sutures was extremely tight and the nurse put a ddressing on for the weekend. On the Monday they still could not remove it so they wrote a letter for me to take to the A and E which I did. Although I had to wait for an hour or so I was seen first by Triage, then by a nurse practitioner who also couldn't remove the suture. A duty consultant was called and a 'numbing' injection was applied but there was still a difficulty. So another duty consultant was called, he managed to remove the suture. The 'tails' of the suture were showing about 0.5" but the knot was buried under the skin by about 0.75". On the whole I felt like a fraud, I shouldn't have had to go there and waste their time and resources when other people had more serious illnesses and injuries. I am happy with what they did and how. I want to say a big thankyou to the A and E Department.

Thank you very much for providing feedback about our services. I am sorry that you experienced difficulties with your stitches, and gald to hear that eventually we were able to resolve the issue through A&E. Please do let me know if you would like to understand why you experienced difficulties. Do email me on Julie.pearce1@nhs.net and I can see if we can find out more information for you.