"My care did not feel compassionate"

About: Western General Hospital / Minor Injuries Clinic

I firmly believe that it is the small things that make a big difference. Whilst cutting vegetables the knife slipped and I cut into my finger. It was extremely sore. I attended minor injuries.

The receptionist was really welcoming. I was seen very quickly and a dressing applied. But the nurse never introduced herself. I was not asked if it was sore or if I wanted a pain killer. My care did not feel compassionate.

I am very sad to read previous comments similar to mine on this site. Minor injuries is a really effective service but it needs to address some fundamentals.

Response from Customer Relations and Feedback Team, NHS Lothian

Dear 5wss15

I am so sorry to read your post and that your care did not feel compassionate.

Staff in NHS Lothian are all being informed about the "My Name is" campaign and encouraged to introduce themselves to all patients and families.

I sincerely hope you do not have to attend hospital in the near future but if you do I hope you find an improvement.

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback as this is important to us.

Response from Craig White, Divisional Clinical Lead, Directorate of Health Quality and Strategy, Scottish Government

Dear Swss15 and Customer Relations and Feedback Team colleagues,

It's great to see that NHS Lothian are going to be supporting the 'Hellomynameis' work, something that it would be great to see too in terms of Patient Opinion responses?

The generic 'Customer Relations and Feedback Team' with no personalised signature at the end of the postings comes across as impersonal, something I know that the Board does not want to be the case when responding to concerns.

Please let me know if the Person-Centred Team in Scottish Government can offer any support and/or put you in touch with others in NHSScotland who personalise responses on Patient Opinion - there is some really nice learning and good practice that may assist.

Best wishes