"What a difference between the two people"

About: Ayr Hospital Scottish Ambulance Service / Patient Transport Service

I spoke to a young lady in the patient transport office on Monday, she was very efficient and helpful.

Prior to that when I spoke to someone to arrange transport they were not very nice. I was told by her that I did not qualify for ambulatory transport as I did not have a medical condition despite my saying to her that I am diabetic and had an appointment at the eye clinic where they would be putting drops in my eyes which would affect my sight for several hours. She was unprepared to arrange for transport to get me to the hospital but was very willing to arrange for transport home.

To get to the hospital I would have needed 4 different buses and would never have made it there in time for my appointment.

What a difference between the two people – the lady on Monday arranged the transport for me without any problems.

I should make it clear I have used this service several times and the crew are always brilliant.

Response from Pat O'Meara, National Head of Ambulance Control Services, Ambulance Control Centres, Scottish Ambulance Service

Dear Plaid365,

I was really pleased to hear that you were eventually able to arrange for ambulance tramsport and that the person you spoke to who organised this was so helpful. It was also great to hear that the ambulance crews are always so good.

It was not so good to hear that the first person you spoke to was unhelpful. It must have been really distressing to be told that we could not help you, especially if it was said in a way that was not nice.

We train our staff to be empathetic and we strive to deliver an excellent service every time we deal with a patient. If you contact me, I will be able to look at this and to ensure that the first member of staff you spoke to can be told about the impact of what they said on you. I will also be able to feed back to the other member of staff to tell them what a good job they did.

My number is 0141 810 6101.

Pat

• Plaid365 thinks this response is helpful

Dear Plaid365,

I too am sorry you had such a time of it trying to get to your appointment. Sometimes it can be very difficult with many buses involved but especially when your eyes may be affected. I hope you are well now,

best wishes,