"A clear example I think of the need to involve and work with the family"

About: Nottinghamshire Healthcare NHS Foundation Trust / Adult mental health (inpatient) Nottinghamshire Healthcare NHS Foundation Trust / Adult Mental Health Services - Community (County)

My brother was recently transferred to Highbury Hospital from Thorneywood Mount, rehabilitation unit. The unit forwarded a letter on to Highbury and my brother asked me to look at it, because he didn't understand the content.

It was basically asking my brother to arrange to have a diabetic eye screening test. I thought there had been an error, because we had no idea my brother needed this test.

Anyway, on contacting the clinic it turns out that my brother had received requests to make an appointment since 2007 but so far failed to respond. It turns out that the Thorneywood Mount were fully aware of my brother's need to have this test and also fully aware that he might be diabetic. They did not however, feel that it was something that needed to be shared with the family. Nor did they feel the need to incorporate this important information in his care plan.

They say that they tried to get my brother to these appointments over the past 7 years. ? ?

As soon as the family were aware an appointment was made and my other half managed to take my brother for the test, without any problems.

Many thanks should go to my other half and to the person who carried out the test as part of greater Nottingham diabetic eye screening programme...he was apparently great with my brother.

Let's just hope now that there hasn't been any damage to my brother's eyes as a result of the ridiculous delay in assisting him with getting to this appointment.

A clear example I think of the need to involve and work with the family. Also unfortunately, an awful example of how people with mental health conditions often have their physical health needs overlooked.

Response from Tracey Taylor, Service Manager, Community and Residential Services (South), Nottinghamshire Healthcare NHS Trust

Hello

If you would like to meet with me to discuss your story as posted above please contact me on 0115 955 5358 or tracey.taylor@nottshc.nhs.uk.

Tracey

Update posted by it'salwaystherighttimetodotherightthing (a relative)

Please note that there is an error in my feedback/story. The concern in the main relates to practice at 145 Thorneywood Mount AMH rehabilitation unit...for some reason patient opinion said the story relates to Highbury Hospital

Thank you for pointing this out. I can amend this for you when the Patient Opinion office is open after the weekend. Highbury is mentioned and you can add as many useful word tags as you need when posting your story to make sure it is seen by the right people however, I can see that your concern is directed to 145 Thorneywood Mount and this can be easily changed.

Please be assured we are keen for the right service to receive your feedback

Best Wishes

Jane

Response from Natalie Deacon, Patient Opinion

Hi It'salwaystherighttimetodotherightthing,

My name is Natalie and I am one of the team at Patient Opinion. I am sorry we tagged your story to Highbury Hospital. We have now re-tagged it to the right service.

Apologies for an confusion.

Take Care

Natalie (One of the Patient Opinion team)

Hello

I manage the service at 145 Thorneywood Mount. I would like to repeat my invitation for you to contact me on 0115 955 5358 or tracey.taylor@nottshc.nhs.uk.

Tracey

Update posted by it'salwaystherighttimetodotherightthing (a relative)

Hello Tracey, thank-you for your message. I think that you have read my other posts and can maybe understand my reluctance to contact service managers etc.

In the past concerns have been raised and there is usually an invitation to discuss issues, but they are always subsequently dismissed....I have no idea though who would take the time to make up concerns which are not true??? I have therefore tried to give sufficient information in posts so that the issues can be looked into and addressed if the trust is serious about tackling concerns raised by patients and carers.

In relation to this post about 145 Thorneywood Mounts failure to inform the family about my brother possibly having diabetes etc for the past 7 years, well I think I have given all the information I am aware of.

As for learning lessons, I am completely dubious about this given 145 Thorneywood Mounts ongoing failure to keep the family informed. We found out about a safeguarding assessment being undertaken by accident. I had to chase for information, with promises of being kept up to date with progress by a manager, but not a word since. The assessment has been completed apparently, without even talking to my brother and can we find out the outcome???

Then we found out that a forensic assessment has been completed, after the event of course and despite my brother requesting our presence and support during meetings/assessments etc. To cap it all I had to sit in a review meeting and listen to my brother being demonised and being called sinister...this member of staff knows nothing about my brother has never spoken to the family but apparently from the information from Thorneywood thought this was an appropriate term. My brother just sat there...thank goodness that he doesn't know the meaning of the word.

How is it that staff are allowed to get away with stigmatising and discriminating against somebody because of their disability?? A care plan was writtent completely without reference to anyone else and every thing that was mentioned related to risk. After complaining the plan has apparently been changed.....but still didn't involve my brother or the family and it doesn't look like we can even know what is now in the care plan.

Unfortunately, I could go on and on. If you would like me to give my name and the name of known staff that are involved in these issues then I am happy to do so.

Hello

If you would like to meet with me please contact me on 0115 955 5358 or tracey.taylor@nottshc.nhs.uk so that we can discuss the issues you have raised in a more confidential manner.