"Smoking at Highbury Hospital"

About: Nottinghamshire Healthcare NHS Foundation Trust / Adult mental health (inpatient)

(as a staff member posting for a patient/service user),

Patients who smoke outside should use the designated smoking area in front of the hospital.

I found when I went on the front a lot of people were standing right outside the hospital front doors where there are signs stating 'no smoking on front'. Make it important to patients who are allowed off ward to stand in smoke areas.

Patient on Redwood 2

Response from Alison Harrison, Acting Service Manager AMH City, Redwood 2, Nottinghamshire Healthcare NHS Foundation Trust

Thank you for raising the issue of smoking outside the front doors of the hospital.I feel as an employee of Nottinghamshire Health Care Trust it is not something I promote, but I realise it has been an on going issue.I will take this to my ward community and remind all that smoking should be in the smoking area and invite any discusions /ideas that may help improve the number of people smoking outside the front doors.

Alison Harrison Ward manager Redwood 2

Response from Suzanne Foulk, Live Implementation and Carer Strategy Lead for Local Services, Nottinghamshire Healthcare NHS Trust

Thank you so much for your comments regarding patients and visitors and designated smoking sites at Highbury Hospital. I personally have received many such comments on this issues from a range of people including patients and staff. The Live! Project Team provide a key role in supporting considerate smoking around all entrances and grounds across the site towards a healthier environment for service users, staff carers and visitors. It is not pleasant to have to walk through smoke to enter a building.

We will raise the issue of considerate smoking at the Highbury Live! Patients Council next month and welcome all ward managers like Alison Harrison raising this with patients on a regular basis.