"Better system needed"

About: University College Hospital / Gastroenterology

I have been attending UCH and previously Middlesex Hospital and since the change over the appointment system has declined. Each time I have attended I have had to wait a long time be seen. The latest appointment I had was Wednesday 1st July. I arrived half an hour early for my appointment at 1.00pm. At 2.15pm I was told by the nursing staff there would be a delay of 55 minutes. After another wait I was then told by the delay will be at least another one and a half hours! This was not acceptable. I would like to make another point. Why are there 5 or 6 patients all booked for all the same time? This should be looked at, to find a better system. Many thanks for “I hope” reading this and you will be able to improve the system.

Response from Chris Dann, Assistant General Manager Gastrointestinal Services Division, Gastroenterology Department, UCH

I am sorry to read of the delay you experienced whilst visiting the Outpatient Department.

I would like to assure you that we are working hard to improve the Outpatient experience for all patients under the care of Gastrointestinal Services at UCLH.

We are currently working closely with Outpatient Clinic Managers to ensure that multiple patients are not booked at the same time and where clinically appropriate overbookings are needed, they have been authorised by a senior clinician and spread throughout the clinic to prevent pressure at the start or end of the session.