"My pain could've been avoided"

About: Lincoln County Hospital / General surgery

I had an accident in Dec which involved a length of wood stabbing into my hand. After being sent to Lincoln county from Gainsborough Hospital I spent all morning waiting to see a doctor. He told me reluctantly to return on Wednesday for a ultra scan.

As I could not take the pain I returned the following day. The scan took place and a length of wood could clearly be seen. I was told surgery was the only option to remove the wood.

I sat in A@E from 9am to 5. 30 pm waiting for a bed. I had wood removed. I returned because of pain infection and swelling. After another lengthy stay in A@E I was sent home with more anti biotics.

I then returned to have my stitches removed. A couple of days later a nasty shard of wood poked out of my hand which was twice the size removed in the operation.

I know how the funding is tight and most of the staff are superb. For the sake of another scan all the pain could have been avoided.

Response from United Lincolnshire Hospitals NHS Trust

Dear Oaky

Regards

Karen Hansord

Senior Sister

Accident and Emergency Department

Response from Lincoln County Hospital

Hello, I am sorry that it has taken such time to post a response on this website but we did reply on Patient Opinion back in January just a couple of days after you told us your story. The reply at that time was: Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback, I apologise for any discomfort and delays you experienced and I will share your concerns with the A&E nursing team. At times of high inflow we do unfortunately have delays in waiting for appropriate admission beds to become available, I apologise if the nursing team did not keep you updated with the reason for the delay. Karen Hansord Senior Sister Accident and Emergency Department