"In Patient Out Patient"

About: Kent & Canterbury Hospital

First let me say as an in patient I was very satisfied with treatment, food, care, etc. This was unfortunately only once through the admitting stage, even though my wife (A Nurse Manager) of over 20 years nursing experience bought me in as an emergency, the first doctor I saw was going to send me home without even examining me even though I was collapsing in terrible pain. Luckily the Registrar came on duty just looked at me and within a few minutes I was undergoing a scan where it was discovered I have Prostrate Cancer and the swelling was stopping me pass urine and causing the excruciating pain I was in, so I was later told my bladder had stored 5 litre or 8 pints of urine and apart from having Prostrate Cancer I also had a stretched bladder that would never return to normal size. When going back for a check-up with my consultant I was told by going from the scans it seems very likely I also have Myloma as well (another cancer). My consultant said I need to see a consultant haematologist as soon as possible (the law says for cancer this should happen within 2 weeks, after waiting 18 weeks with no joy from K&C I contacted my MP who took the matter up on my behalf and without me having any tests of any kind I suddenly don't have Myloma, seems very much a way of getting out of not carrying out the tests needed within the 2 weeks as should have been done, just to cover up the lack of in action with no regard for me or my health. K&C said they sent a letter to my GP stating I did not have Myloma but I do not believe this as I signed up to having a copy of all letters sent to my GP also sent to me, up to this point this has worked well, so why did I not receive a copy this time, maybe because they did not send a letter to my GP and are just covering up the not seeing me and the incompetence at K&C. My MP took up my complaint and it went to the Patient Experience Team who contacted and sent me a form to be signed and returned to allow the Kent And Medway Area Team to look into my records, this signed consent form went back by recorded delivery to K&C on the 1 November 2014. It is now the 21 November 2014 and the Kent And Medway Area Team contacted me today asking me to sign a form that allows them to look at my records ( sent back to K&C on 1/11/2014) not only this but my complaint about non treatment at K&C had been changed by the Patient Experience Team at K&C to just a complaint about why my GP did not contact me with the results from K&C.

Thank you for your concerns about your care. I am sorry that you have not been satisfied with the way we have handled your diagnostic tests. Please do email me and I will follow this through for you and we can arrange for you to have another discussion with your consultant.

My email address is Julie.pearce1@nhs.net