"Erronious blood test times"

About: Hythe Hospital

I would usually recommend Hythe Hospital for people in this area including having blood tests. However, on Friday 31st I was annoyed to find that there was no-one in the department. The service is advertised as running until 11.00 a.m. but there was a notice saying it would close at 10.50 a.m. I was not alone as there were three other ladies needing to use the service, one of whom had arrived at 10.40 a.m. and said there was no-one there then. As I have to rely on my husband for transport and needing to have the test that day, it meant a trip to Lymington where we had to wait about two hours before having blood taken. The waiting room was packed and the waiting time only reduced due to the fact that another department took about 20 people to their rooms to help out. If this is an ongoing problem, at least change the advertised times to reflect this so the public can make informed decisions as to where to have tests.

Response from Jane Tibble, Complaints and PALS Officer, Complaints and PALS, Southern Health NHS Foundation Trust

We would like to thank you for taking the time to post your feedback and sincerely apologise to you for your distressing experience. Your comments have been shared with the manager concerned to discuss with the staff. They are working to develop and improve the service provided and are working hard to resolve staffing issues and to improve the communication within that department. We would welcome the opportunity to discuss this further with you and ask that you kindly ring Complaints and PALS on 01590 663089/02380 874065 or e-mail hp-tr.complaints@nhs.net.

Complaints and PALS