"Better communication is needed"

About: Forensic mental health / Low secure services

(as a staff member posting for a carer/relative),

Posted by a staff member from the Carers Froum - Wells Road.

Porchester Ward

When I ring the ward and leave a message for my son / nephew he does not always receive it. When I ring the ward to make an appointment to visit my son / nephew on a couple of occasions the appointment details have not been given to reception and when we have turned up we have had problems and nearly told we couldn’t see our son / nephew. We travel a long way and this is not good enough. Better communication is needed.

My son / nephew has 2 slots a week to go out. Very often this gets cancelled. He is told this is because they are short staffed / problems on the ward. He looks forward to this, waiting to go out and this stresses and upsets him.

Response from Gregg Murray, Deputy Modern Matron, The Wells Road Centre, Nottinghamshire Healthcare NHS Trust

I am sorry to hear about some of these communication issues which you have been faced with. I have passed on your comments to the Ward Manager on Porchester ward regarding the passing on of messages. She will discuss this with the staff and if necessary improve the system of taking messages.

There is a clear system for communicating visits unit wide which need coordinating within the hospital, however it would appear that this has not been followed on at least two occasions. I will look into where the breakdown in communication has occurred and ensure that the relevant staff are aware of the situation.

There are currently some vacancies in staffing accross the hospital which has occasionally affected patients leave. We have recruited staff into current vacancies however the process of people arriving into post can take several weeks. We are monitoring any leave cancellations to ensure that we target organisational or staffing issues.

Please contact the Ward Manager of Porchester ward if you feel that there are any further issues who will be happy to help.