"Surgical cancellations."

About: St George's Hospital (Tooting) / General surgery St George's Hospital (Tooting) / Gynaecology

In 2011 I was due to have a total hysterectomy and salpingo-oophorectomy for endometrial cancer. I was admitted the day before the scheduled surgery so that I could be correctly prepped. The surgery was cancelled at 5pm on the day and eventually re-booked for 14 days later.

In 2012 I was scheduled to undergo bariatric surgery which was cancelled at 4:30pm on the day and re-scheduled for 4 weeks later.

My oncology gynae consultant has referred me to urogynaecology for repairs. This consultant arranged for me to be admitted 3.5 weeks later but after 2 weeks I have again received notification that I have been cancelled and they will advise me when they will be able to fit me in.

I understand that they will have to complete treatment within 18 weeks of referral but would that be from my oncology gynae consultant or the urogynae consultant? If the former, the 18 week period would have been up on the original date set for surgery.

Do these admin people realise how much anxiety they put people through? Having prepared yourself mentally for the procedure, you have to go through it all over again.

Response from St George's Healthcare NHS Trust

Contact - pals@stgeorges.nhs.uk or on 020 8725 2453

Response from St George's Hospital (Tooting)

Response from St George's Healthcare NHS Trust was made on 20/10/2014 on Patient Opinion. We are sorry to read of your experience and dissatisfaction with the arrangements for your surgery. We would encourage you to contact the PALS department at St. George’s Hospital if you have not already done so. You can talk to the Patient Advice and Liaison Service about your experience and further investigation can take place. Contact - pals@stgeorges.nhs.uk or on 020 8725 2453