"Met with nothing but kindness, care and compassion"

About: Royal Devon & Exeter Hospital (Wonford) / General medicine

This was such a positive experience that it has restored my faith in the hospital.

I was extremely nervous and quite upset. I met with nothing but kindness, care and compassion from all of the staff. No one was impatient with me. I was given a local anaesthetic as well as sedation which proved very effective. I remember very little of what happened once I received the sedation.

Afterwards I felt no discomfort from the procedure or from the sedation. Staff kept us informed about what was happening at each stage and what would happen next. This was brilliant and a stark contrast to my previous experience at this hospital.

Once I had recovered and had something to eat and drink a nurse came with a copy of my discharge letter with full details of what had been done and the diagnosis. She provided me with a leaflet explaining my condition and talked thus through with me. Nothing felt rushed at any stage and I had plenty of opportunities to ask questions.

If you have to have an endoscopy at this hospital please don't worry you will be well cared for.

Response from Rebecca McGuffog, Patient Engagement and Experience Officer, Royal Devon and Exeter NHS Foundation Trust

Dear HazelR

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience of the Endoscopy Department at this hospital. I am pleased to hear that you felt so well cared for, and would like to thank you very much for your kind comments. Positive feedback such as yours is always greatfully received. I do hope you have made a good recovery from your procedure.

Response from Royal Devon & Exeter Hospital (Wonford)

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience of the Endoscopy Unit at the Royal Devon and Exeter Hospital. I am delighted to hear that you are so pleased with the care you received, and that you felt so reassured by the staff. I would like to thank you very much for your positive feedback. Kind comments such as yours are always gratefully received. I do hope that you are making a good recovery from your procedure.