"Appointment booking"

About: Royal Berkshire Hospital

The consultant at ENT dept referred me for few tests. I handed over the form to x-ray department 10 days ago. wheneve I call them to ask for my appointment, I dont get any answer for my appointment date. I agree that everyone is busy but my questions are as below 1) Does it take more than 10 days to book and appointment ? 2) I am paying NI everymonth without any delay and I expect to get back the proper health care on time atleast. Why should I live in countinous fear for a long time with knowing the results of my diagnosis because NHS takes a very long time to book you on system for an appointment. I am chasing up all the the deopartment for last days but hasnt got anything yet. God knows when the treatment would start? why NHS wants to treat people when people move to next stage of their problem due to long waiting time. I know that I can go for private treatment but my very basic question is why should I go for it when I am paying a good amount of NI. I am highly disappointed.

Response from Royal Berkshire Hospital

Without detail of the referral type it is difficult to comment specifically; however the Radiology (X-ray) Department receives several hundred referrals per day. Of these a significant number will require clinical vetting before an appropriate appointment can be booked and if the referral is for a specialised procedure/scan it may be necessary to coordinate Radiologist and Radiographer time, and to arrange a day unit or recovery bed. These factors will influence how quickly an appointment can be issued. We endeavour to accommodate all urgent or query cancer referrals within 2 weeks and other diagnostic scans within 6 weeks of referral.