"Clean, cheerful and caring unit"

About: Victoria Hospital / General Surgery

I had to attend the Endoscopy Unit to have a colonoscopy done. This is not a very pleasant procedure and embarrassing however the staff in the Endoscopy unit were wonderful!

I arrived at the unit feeling wabbit and unwell. I was given a gown to change into then taken into a private room where the nurse went over my notes. A charming young student Doctor inserted a cannula into my hand painlessly. I only waited a short time before I was taken through to the endoscopy room.

Michelle the specialist nurse did the colonoscopy after explaining everything very clearly to me. Michelle was assisted by 2 very caring nurses. The whole procedure was done efficiently and with much good humour, in fact in other circumstances might have felt like a girls night out!

I have mobility problems but this was all dealt with without me even realising it. So thank you to all the staff for running such a clean cheerful and caring unit.

Response from Louise Ewing, Patient Relations Manager, NHS Fife

Dear Granny

The Scottish Government's Quality Strategy refers to delivering "safe, effective and person centred" care; however this translates nicely to "clean, cheerful and caring" as described by you. It is good to hear that staff were able to put you at ease and were able to find ways to make the unpleasant, pleasant!

I will gladly share your feedback with the team in Endoscopy and also with teh Management Team responsible who will greatly appreciate your kind feedback.

Kind Regards

Louise Ewing

Patient Relations Manager

NHS Fife

• Granny thinks this response is helpful

Response from Gordon Birnie, Medical Director, Acute Services, NHS Fife

Dear Granny

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback. I am glad to hear that you were pleased by your experience and that the staff managed to help you through the procedure. I know the staff read these comments and I am certain that they take comfort and support from these positive comments.

• Granny thinks this response is helpful