"Unfortunately I had to take my ..."

About: Sunderland Eye Infirmary

Unfortunately I had to take my 12 yr old son to SEI A&E on the morning of New Years Eve with an eye infection.

He was triaged very quickly by 2 very polite male nurses, treating my child as the young adult he is and directing the questions to him rather than me. I found this extremely respectful and it reassured my son.

We then settled back in the waiting room expecting to be there for quite a while, however this was not the case. Shortly after we were called by a Nurse Practitioner and she examined him thoroughly, explaining everything to me and my son in terms we both understood.

Medication was prescibed and dispensed very quickly and we were in and out of the department in about 1 hour.

Many thanks to the caring, professional and very polite,informative staff

Staff and service I cannot fault.

However, SEI A&E department seems outdated, the Nurse Practioner room is dull, small, no windows, cramped and not reassuring to an adult let alone a frightened child.

Excellent service, keep up the good work A&E staff.

Response from Sunderland Eye Infirmary

Thank you for your comments about your treatment and the attitude of the staff at the Eye Infirmary. We have noted your comments regarding the A&E rooms and the Directorate Manager will be examining how we can improve the building for patients.