"Not enough dignity"

About: Royal Blackburn Hospital

I attended hospital for a consultation for diabetes. An examination was carried out and I was asked to strip down to my underwear. I wasn't given a gown or provided with a blanket to cover my dignity. I felt very exposed! I am not a small lady, and I felt embarrassed and uncomfortable, it didn't help when the consultant placed the sphygmomanometer on my stomach so that he could see the dial. I looked like an oil rig! To make matters worse I got dressed so fast that I hadn't noticed that the blue paper sheet had stuck to my body and was trailing out of my pant leg (Andrex puppy eat your heart out)! I can laugh about this now, but I still feel embarrassed.

This is the second time I’ve been examined at this hospital and on each occasion I haven’t been given a gown. Probably my fault for not asking for one, but as a patient should I have to.

Response from NHS Blackburn with Darwen

Dear andrex,

Thank you for posting your experience about the service provided at Royal Blackburn Hospital.

In order to answer your comments from the service's perspective, I have passed your posting to the relevant manager. A more in-depth response will be posted on the Patient Opinion website within the next 2 weeks.