"9 out of 10 times service is good"

About: Bristol Eye Hospital South Western Ambulance Service NHS Foundation Trust / Patient transport service (PTS)

I regularly use patient transport services in Bristol. Sometimes they pick me up in a car, sometimes they pick me up in an ambulance. 9 out of 10 times it’s great but now and again it runs late. One example is when I had an inpatient appointment at Bristol Eye Hospital when they were running really late and didn’t let me know.

Dear Indigo728

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on the Patient Transport Service. I am sorry to hear that you are not always satisfied with the service you receive. We sincerely apologise for any inconvenience caused.

South Western Ambulance Service NHS Foundation Trusts Patient Transport Service is a predominately pre-planned service; we work to a schedule that has been planned out the previous day. This is to ensure that we utilise our transport as efficiently as possible and that everyone gets a vehicle that is suitable for their health care needs and their mobility at the required time. This transport is often shared with more than one patient so we can made the best use of our resources, so they will be times when the journeys are not as straight forward as you might expect. We may be able to collect our patients straight away, however, there will be occasions when transport might be delayed slightly due to a number of reasons, for example earlier clinics overrunning, traffic congestion or vehicle breakdowns.

Please be assured that when you travel with our service, our staff will always do their very best to get to you as quickly and as safely as possible.

We really appreciate all feedback from our patients, as your experiences help to inform service improvement. If you would like us to investigate what may be going wrong on these occasions, please do not hesitate to contact our Patient Experience department on 01392 261585 or email patientexperience@swast.nhs.uk where the team will be more than happy to assist you.

Thanks again for taking the time to share your experience.

Response from Bristol Eye Hospital

Thank you for your feedback. We are very pleased to hear that you usually receive such a good service. Please accept our apologies for the late running of the service that you experienced - we will pass this on to the transport team for information.