"Day surgery unit;Royal Free experience"

About: Royal Free Hospital

I was treated in the day surgery unit of Royal Free Hospital yesterday August 27th 2014. This is a brief review on my experience. Surgery:Thorascopic Sympathectomy (right side) I arrived at the day unit 07:30 am and was first on the surgery list. After checking in I waited briefly before being seen by an anaesthetist who asked a few question and went over my surgery to confirm I understood everything about my planned operation. I was then seen by another doctor who introduced himself and went over my procedure in further detail , also asking if I had any concerns etc. Next I was seen by a nurse who ran the usual tests before surgery. She was very friendly and patient with me. We then went to the dressing cubicles and I changed into my surgery attire. Another nurse escorted me to the room where I would have anaesthesia before they would take me to theatre. Everyone on team introduced themselves and I saw the familiar & friendly face of my consultant. He had a short chat with me and made me feel safe and secure. The anaesthetist put me under and I awoke probably 90 minutes later in the post operating room. Everyone was very professional checking my vitals and making sure I was comfortable. Post Op pain levels were about 7 and the nurse gave me some pain medication.This reduced my pain level to 6.After having an x ray of my chest ,I was given the all clear and wheeled back to the day surgery unit. Upon arrival I was greeted by the nurse I saw initially , she was very caring and nurturing towards me :)I am so happy she was assigned to look after me, she did a brilliant job. She checked on me periodically and took my blood pressure. Around 13:00 I was given lunch and as I was coping pretty well the nurse submitted my prescription .I had no nausea or vomiting and the pain was barely noticeable except when I moved. After a short nap ,the nurse came to inform me I was being discharged. I was discharged at 3:30pm.The whole experience was very positive and everyone on the team did a great job. I have the same surgery on my left side in a few weeks and I now know I don't need to be anxious or worried as I will be in the best possible hands. Thank you to to my Consultant,his team and the rest of the day surgery staff. You were amazing!

Response from Royal Free Hospital

Thank you so much for your feedback, I will pass this on to the day surgery team.