"Earsham Ward"

About: Norfolk & Norwich University Hospital

I found 97% of staff to be kind, caring and professional but they are overworked with far too many patients allocated to them. So, because they are run off their feet 97% of staff who want to offer a professionally caring experience can't because they are can't be everywhere at once and two human beings can't split themselves between 13 patients, taking into consideration several of those 13 are 100% reliant on one to one care. Among my experiences were :- An elderly patient waiting nearly three hours for a bed pan and when she called her buzzer she was told by the HCA that there were only three bedpans to the whole ward and that she'd just have to wait. I might add the HCA did not respect her dignity and go to her bed to discretely tell her but belowed it from the door for all to hear. Red tray patients waiting over an hour to be fed, hot meal going cold, jelly going warm, ice cream melting. On three occasions a dementia patient's red tray was taken away from her after an hour or so by the catering service employees, not their fault, they assumed she was finished, fact was nobody had bothered sorting her out to eat it in the first place. Elderly bed bound patients not being washed and sorted out for the day until after midday on one occasion. The HCA responsible was the same one who, the day before, was assigned as my HCA for the day and left me in a side ward without observation for 7 hours, I could have dropped dead in the toilet and nobody would have known. A Staff Nurse bellowing as she walked in and out of nursing bays to ask staff,,, "do you go to boot sales (staff names)" "if so, could you pick up some of these baby spoons and we'll sterilise them" hmmmm why are boot sales the source of national health equipment ?" Elderly patients accidentally setting off their drip machines and nurses not coming to turn the piercing noise off, once it was over two hours ! This wasn't fair to other patients nor the confused elderly person. I took a pair of scissors from a dementia patient !

We are very sorry to hear about your experiences on our ward and will pass your comments to the Director of Nursing. If you wish to speak to us in more detail, please contact the the Patient Advice and Liaison Service at pals@nnuh.nhs.uk

Response from Norfolk & Norwich University Hospital

We are very sorry to hear this feedback about the care on one of our wards. Thank you for telling us about your experience and this information will be passed to our Director of Nursing.