"advice before attending an appointment"

About: NHS Fife

Received letter confirming date and time and which department. The other information I received was instructions to adhere to prior to appointment. I was to abstain from eating or drinking anything six hours before appointment, which I felt was absurd just for a scan!

Response from Gordon Birnie, Medical Director, Acute Services, NHS Fife We have made a change

Dear Acelander

Thank you for taking the time to feedback this information, it is so valuable to be able to see our services through the eyes of our patients.

I was surprised by your comment and I have looked into it with our radiology team.

You are right these restrictions are unnecessary and new leaflets are being produced to ease the restriction on fluids before a scan. The restrictions on food remain as this can interfere with the interpretation of the scan.

Response from John Wilson, Chief Executive, NHS Fife

Dear Acelander,

I am grateful to you for taking time to contact us with your comments. I am pleased to see that your remarks have allowed us to reflect on our practice and to make appropriate changes. We aim to provide services which are "person centred", it is only by hearing from people, like yourself, that we are able to see what needs to be done differently.

Thank you for helping us to improve our service. I hope that all goes well with your scan.

Best wishes,

John Wilson, Chief Executive, NHS Fife.