"Seen quickly but not enough updates given to..."

About: Scarborough General Hospital

I was taken to A and E early yesterday morning around 7am with severe kidney pain following ESWL at Hull Castle Hill hospital. I was in agony at home for 3 hours before deciding to go to A and E. There were about 3 people in front of me. The receptionist could see the pain I was in and I was taken through within about 10 mins. BP etc was seen to straight away I was seen within 20 mins by a nurse who offered Ibuprofen but told her i had just taken 2 orally about 10 mins earlier. She was just about to go off duty but said she would hand over all the details. After 2 hours laid in pain in a cubicle I was seen by a young lady Dr who when I asked for pain relief told me I had refused it ! .... seems she got her wires crossed so I was left in unjust agony for all that time and had I not gone on search of her after a few hours wait, I would not have got any at all...... I was duly given an injection for the pain by a staff nurse who was lovely, which brought sweet relief in about 15 mins. I was offered water by a lovely lass who I think is a helper, she was not in uniform but she was very kind. After a wait of about 3 hours bloods were taken and a very nice Dr came to see me, after getting the blood results back he said I could go home and gave me a scrip for painkillers and anti emetics. He was so kind I hugged him ! Overall I was seen very quickly and apart from the mix up with pain relief, it was fine. The nursing staff do a great job in A and E but dont keep you informed of whats whats so you are left alone wondering if they have forgotten about you.

Response from Scarborough General Hospital

Thank you very much for your posting. Your comments have been passed to the teams concerned. We are pleased that your visit to us was in the main very positive; our aim is to provide a high standard of service which reflects the needs of patients. Your comments on how we might improve things have also been passed to the relevant teams.