"my 95 year old father's last days"

About: Princess Royal University Hospital (Orpington)

My father Edward Morley was admitted on 12th July 2014, he went through A&E then to the stroke ward and the following day into Med 4, Throughout my father's stay he was treated with the greatest care and consideration. His bed was always clean and he was made comfortable. His medical needs were met according to his current condition which meant he was not given unnecessary intrusive procedures if they would not improve his situation. Every member of the nursing team were kind to my dad in his last days. The doctors treated my dad for his medical condition irrespective of his age but they were also very honest with us about his health, they gave us all the information we needed so we could make informed decisions. The staff team were also very accommodating to us as a family, offering my 96 year old mother comfort and support so she could stay with him as long as she could. We were permitted to visit any time and on his last night I stayed with him and was even offered a bed in the day room. Loosing a close relative is so hard but at least my dad was able to maintain his dignity to the very end, the staff ensured he was not in pain or any discomfort and he died peacefully. His nurse who rang me let me know with great sensitivity. So on behalf of all my family I would like to say thank you to every one of the staff team.

Response from Princess Royal University Hospital

Thank you for describing the high standard of end of life care and appropriate environment that was able to be provided to your late father and the support, compassion and sensitivity provided to his wife and family by all the staff. I will of course pass on your high commendation to the staff involved which they will be extremely happy to receive.