"Learning how to use the web to improve health care"
About: Patient Opinion Patient Opinion
Posted by PaulH (as ),
Health Foundation Award Holders meeting
February 24th and 25th 2009 York
Learning from this 2 day event for clinicians and managers from across the NHS included a session on how the web can add power to patient feedback and generate patient-led service improvements.
Learning from this included:
• Web-based feedback on site like Patient Opinion, NHS Choices and YouTube and Flickr feel like an entirely new way of doing patient feedback.
• Seeing the possibilities felt to participants in the discussion groups like seeing a new world that runs alongside but does not replace all the current PPI and patient engagement mechanisms.
• These tools represent a shift of power to patients and have the potential to create entirely new quality drivers – and to be disruptive.
• Some people worried about the decline in face to face communication which remains as important as ever
• There was a sense that ‘we’ve got to adjust to this because it ain’t going adjust to us’.
• These new tools create a sense of excitement as well as some fear.