About: Queen Alexandra Hospital

Thankfully, suffering from breathing difficulties, the A&E dept is utterly wonderful, but last Monday (11/08/14) I suffered the most painful experiences of a crass phlebotomist. Having had to attend another clinic yesterday because of her ineptitude and feeling no pain, I feel I must comment. Her first attempt was an 'in and out' which when she waggled the needle about trying to find blood has hopefully not wrecked that vein as I am on Warfarin. Her second attempt on the other arm was more successful though was no less painless -as despite her shouting at me that there was no needle in there, I could feel the hard plastic canula being moved. It is to be hoped that this comment is not seen as a criticism but a plea for better training. Revd Alex Allardice (one time SRN)

Response from Queen Alexandra Hospital

Thank you for taking the time to write in and tell us of your experience. Please be assured that we will of course pass your comments on to the Emergency Department for their information and learning as you have suggested.

Response from Marion Brown, Head of Complaints and Patient Advice & Liaison Service (PALS), Portsmouth Hospitals NHS Trust We are preparing to make a change

Dear Revd Allardice

I am very sorry to hear about your experience at the phlebotomy clinic and will certainly pass your comments on for the service manager to look into and avoid someone else having that same experience.

Thank you for taking the time to add your comments. Should you ever need any advice or support or wish to give us direct feedback then please contact our Patient Experience Team on PHT.PatExp@porthosp.nhs.uk