"waiting times for operation"

About: Medway Maritime Hospital / General surgery

Arriving at 10:45 am, still waiting in a deserted ward to go into theatre at 17:30. After finding a nurse, who made a call, I eventually walked into theatre carrying my clothes in a bag, as there were no porters or trolleys available. This surgery had been cancelled three times before. During my wait, I noticed a disabled gent calling and asking for help, his call button was not working. He was still there all alone when I walked into surgery.

Response from Medway NHS Foundation Trust

Please accept our sincere apologies for the long wait and the lack of an explanation as to why this was. We do have to treat every patient as an individual and manage their needs as they arise, which can often mean that staff are not as visible to those patients who are waiting.

We will ensure your comment about the gentleman with a disability whos call bell was not working is hilighted to the manager so that this can be rectified and improved for the next patient.

Thank you for bringing this to our attention.

Patient Experience Team

01634 825004

Response from Medway Maritime Hospital

Thank you for proving feedback regarding your recent patient experience within the operating theatres here at Medway Foundation Trust. I would appreciate a telephone discussion with you to enable me to obtain some further information regarding your visit to ensure that corrective measures are put into place. I can be contacted on 01634 830000 x6718. Kind regards Sam Goldberg, Director of Operations