"Cost cutting to psychotherapy service"

About: Nottinghamshire Healthcare NHS Foundation Trust / Adult Mental Health Services - Community (City)

I was seeing a psychologist for several months. I was referred by my psychiatrist.

The psychologist wanted to discharge me, but offered me an open appointment for 6 months post discharge, should I need more immediate help.

On my final appointment, the psychologist informed me he had been told by his line manager that he could not hold my case open as his hours were being cut. I was shocked and astounded, particularly as recent research had shown that "talking therapies" gave more permanent improvements in patients' mental health, and was far more cost effective too the Health Service than repeated emergency admissions too psychiatric wards.

Please explain this glaring anomaly.

Response from Tim Constable, Service Manager, Adult Mental Health, Nottinghamshire Healthcare NHS Trust

Dear Sheelee

I am sorry to hear that you had been told that the Psychology services are being cut.

If you are happy to let me have more information about who provided the information and which team you were receiving care from I will look into this on your behalf.

Please call 0115 9691300 and ask for my secretary Jill Dowson (Mon- Fri 9am to 1pm)

kind regards