"GP insensitivity to my wishes as attorney for my mum"

About: NHS Fife

My mum's main carer arranged for a GP home visit due to problems with a rash/insect bites. My mum has dementia and due to local public holiday and other appointments was unable to visit chemist for advice. The surgery was advised that carer would be at my mum's house till 1pm and that I would be there from 2:30pm.

I was driving from Edinburgh to Fife when the GP called me but call went straight to voicemail. GP thought it was OK to ask a neighbour to let her in AND TO BE PRESENT during consultation.

My mum lacks capacity. I have POA and was not consulted if I thought this was acceptable. IT WAS NOT. GP contacted various neighbours before being directed to one with a key. (There is a key safe. )

My mums's neighbour did not think it was appropriate to be present during consultation but did not think she could refuse to help. Had I known this would be the case, I would have requested an emergency appointment.

Response from Louise Ewing, Patient Relations Manager, NHS Fife

Dear Dementia Daughter

Thank you for telling us about this recent experience. I think this is an issue that you should speak to the GP or the Practice Manager about, as you need to have confidence that a similar thing will not happen in the future.

Louise Ewing