"Visit to the Day assessment Unit at Southend..."

About: Southend Hospital

Today my 94 year old nan went for an assessment in this unit, every single member of the staff was welcoming and helpful towards her and treated her with respect despite her age and limited hearing. They were also welcoming and helpful to us, we must have been an inconvenience as there we're four of us in the small assessment unit at times, but they were polite, helpful and exceptionally friendly at all times. The standard of care, treatment and testing which my nan received was excellent and extremely thorough despite her age. The unit was also exceptionally clean and they were happy to provide tea and food to any visitor who required it even if they'd missed the lunch time slot. We really couldnt have asked for anything more today, the experience of coming from a home to a unit to under go tests for an elderly person with limited hearing who can be anxious could potentially be traumatic and stressful but was made so easy for my nan today.

Response from Louise McIver, Patient Involvement Coordinator, Southend University Hospital NHS Foundation Trust

Regards,

Response from Southend Hospital

Thank you for your comments regarding your Nan's experience within our Day Assessment Unit, I am so pleased to hear this was such a positive experience. It is great to hear that our trained staff dealt with your Nan in such a personal yet professional manner and also that visitors are looked after. We aim to provide our patients with the best care and treatment and this experience reflects our mission, 'Everybody matters, everything counts, everyone's responsible' I wish your Nan good health for the future and, again, thank you for your feedback I will ensure this is sent to the department and staff see your comments. Regards, Steve McEwen Patient Experience Lead